Sleep is one of those universal subjects – we all need it, and at some point we all struggle with it. Sleep is one of the main topics of conversations with new parents and a constant battle for many. At first I was surprised with the number of people that are looking for natural solutions to their sleeping problems. Disturbed sleep can have many sources including hormonal changes, stress, medication side effects, shift work, children and even the dreaded “brain train” . There seems to be two main types of sleep issues, those who can’t get to sleep and those who can’t get back to sleep after waking up. Both issues, if left unmitigated, can lead to a variety of health issues that go beyond the tired brain fog that can follow you around all day. Lack of sleep over time with start to slower your metabolism, weaken your immune system, inhibit tissue repair and overall cause undue stress on the body and it’s systems.
When it comes to restoring restful sleep there are a number of options out there ranging from strong medications and antidepressants often issued by doctors to a wide variety of natural solutions and formulas. But before trying to find a magic pill, make sure you are practicing good sleeping habits.
* Try to stick to a regular sleep schedule, even on weekends
* Reduce or eliminate your screen time (TV, computer etc) an hour before bedtime
* Get a little exercise everyday, a brisk walk before bed can work wonders
* Don’t go to bed too full or too hungry, a small protein rich snack can help you sleep
* Create a room just for sleeping, comfortable and free of distractions and electronics
* Manage stress and reduce cortisol levels – journaling, yoga & meditation are useful tools
Even when the best sleep practices are in place sleep can still remain elusive and a little help is needed. As previously mentioned there are a wide variety of natural sleep remedies out there, many of which work for many people. One of our favourites at The Granary is Ortho-Sleep. Combining amino acids, herbs and stress reducing compounds, Ortho Sleep creates an effective product, proven to combat the effects on insomnia and restore sleep patterns. For more details check out the “Ortho Sleep Info Sheet”:http://granary.ca/file_download/18/
Make sure to ask for your free sample of Ortho Sleep and have a great night!