If you find yourself running out the door in the morning without grabbing anything for lunch, today’s recipe is perfect for you. Not only is it healthy and filling, but you can prep multiple portions at once and it can be customized to your liking. Here’s one of many possible salad in a jar recipes for you to try! We like using BNTO lunch box adapters to separate our salad and dressing. This means our salad won’t get soggy!
Southwestern Salad in a Jar
This recipe was adapted from this MJ AND HUNGRYMAN recipe.
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 diced bell pepper (colour of your choice)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup of corn, fresh or canned
- grated cheese of your choice (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- grilled chicken or protein of your choice (optional)
- 2 cups mixed greens
Chipotle Lime Salad Dressing
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- a dash of chipotle hot sauce (to taste, we like it spicy so we added a couple dashes)
- roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Begin by layering your ingredients into your jar. First, add the beans, followed by your tomatoes, peppers, avocado and corn. Top that off with cheese, tortilla chips and chicken if you’re adding it. Finally fill the remaining space (leaving room for your BNTO lunchbox adapter) with mixed greens. Set this aside and whisk together your salad dressing ingredients. Pour that into your BNTO lunchbox adapter and seal with the lid. Store in your fridge and grab and go whenever you need to!