White Kidney Beans, which are named due to their resemblance to the kidney, have a high mineral, vitamin, protein and fiber content, making it a superfood. Here are 5 benefits of Kidney Beans, which may convinve you to start eating more of them.
5 Health Benefits of White Kidney Beans
- Cancer-Fighting Properties – Like other legumes, kidney beans are rich in antioxidants, which are known to have cancer fighting abilities. Free radicals are produced when cells metabolize and when they bind to your other cells they may cause aging, cancer and other chronic diseases. Antioxidants counter the effects of free radicals and their harmful effects.
- High in Fiber – Like other legumes, kidney beans contain 2 types of fiber, soluble and insoluble, both of which are important in maintaining a healthy digestive system. In addition fiber is important in weight management, as it will keep you fuller for a longer period of time.
- Heart Healthy – White Kidney Beans are rich in B9, also know as folate or folic acid. Homocysteine is an amino acid found in the bloodstream. In elevated amounts it can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke. Luckily folate reduces the leveles of this amino acid.
- Improved Cognitive Function – White Kidney Beans are also very rich in another B Vitamin, B1, also known as thiamine. This B Vitamins is essential in the formation and operation of healthy brain cells. It is also useful in maintaining memory function.
- Detoxifying – Sulfites are commonly found in prepared food and can cause headache, increased heartbeat or even disorientation. White Kidney Beans contain a trace mineral, molybdenum, which has the ability to detoxify sulfites, preventing the possible negative side effects.
Woods, P. (n.d.). What Are the Benefits of White Kidney Beans? Retrieved May 6, 2015.