Although there are three forms of edible yeast, baker’s, brewer’s and nutritional, only the latter is inactive and consumed specifically for its nutritional value and flavour.
8 Reasons to Try Nutritional Yeast
- The Flavour – It has a savory flavour that many describe as cheesy. This makes it a great dairy-free cheese substitute in several recipes. Stay tuned for a recipe later in the week.
- It’s High in Protein – Complete protein contains adequate proportions of all nine essential amino acids, and you’ll find this in Nutritional Yeast. Just 2 tablespoons can contain up to 8 to 9 grams of protein!
- It’s High in Vitamin B12 – Looking for a plant based vitamin B12? Nutritional yeast is your solution. Just 1 tablespoon delivers your day’s worth of vitamin B12, which is essential for healthy nerve and blood cells. It can also help prevent anemia.
- It’s Gluten-Free – Good news for those of you on Gluten-free diets, you won’t have to worry about sprinkling some nutritional yeast on your meals, so go crazy!
- It’s an Inactive Yeast– As we mentioned above; it’s inactive and contains no candida. This means that for those of you prone to yeast infections, there’s no need to worry!
- It’s Easy to Use – Use it to replace cheese, thicken sauces, season popcorn, and more! The possibilities are endless!
- It’s a Great Source of Folic Acid – Especially important for pregnant women and the development of fetal brain and spinal cord development, this B-vitamin is also necessary for cell maintenance and production.
- It’s High in Fiber – Fibre is important when it comes to gut health and digestion. You can find 3 grams of fibre per serving, which will help you feel fuller longer by regulating blood sugar levels along with the other benefits of a diet rich in fibre.
Did we miss any reasons to try Nutritional Yeast? What’s your go-to way to get this yeast into your diet? Let us know on our Facebook page or leave a comment.
Lam, Paulina. “5 Reasons Why Nutritional Yeast Rocks.” 7 March 2014. OneGreenPlanet.org. Online. 1 May 2015.
Seinberg, Sara. “5 Reasons Why I’m Obsessed with Nutritional Yeast.” 11 January 2013. MindBodyGreen.com. Online. 1 May 2015.